December 2011

What a month – no – let me rephrase that – what a year. Most of anyone that knows me will know there is an impetuous streak within me and in true form I suddenly decided to go with Matt Jnr on Regent Cruise Lines four days before he was due to leave. Shockingly we worked out that we hadn’t travelled anywhere together in 12 years  since we were on Princess Cruises for my 40th birthday and with me away for most of 2012 we thought it would be a good idea.

We travelled from Heathrow to Munich and then Munich to Izmir. We had been told we would be there overnight before joining the ship. Landing at Izmir was uneventful enough, there was a little man holding a board that displayed our name and he directed us to our transport. Unfortunately he spoke no English at all and after 20 minutes I was whispering to Matt asking where the hell were we? The land looked like a fall out in Tehran, it was desolate, barren and quite spooky and it was obvious that there was no decent hotel in the vicinity.

After an hour or so we saw the signs to Kusadasi and realised that we were going straight to the ship. I couldn’t quite work this out as the ship wasn’t due in until the next day. But low and behold after another 30 minutes we spotted the vessel from the cliff top road we were on (that is totally another story). Our driver dropped us outside the port and after unloading the luggage was about to depart. Panicked I signaled to him what was happening? It was about 8.00pm at night, the port was closed and it was fairly dark and certainly devoid of any other human. He indicated he had phoned someone and we should wait. And wait we did…. until what looked like a Turkish official appeared from nowhere. He explained in pigeon English that Immigration was at dinner, that we should leave our passports and luggage and go through to the ship.

At this point I will explain that because of bad weather the ship had limped into Kusadasi a day early. The winds were extremely strong and it was cold. We were led through a darkened terminal our hand luggage put through the X-ray machine, which had to be turned on and warm up and let out the other end and in the distance… and I mean the distance we could see the lone ship. It was about a half a mile’s walk and there was Matt and I battling against the wind with all our hand luggage praying that we would make it in one piece. All of Matt’s electrical stage equipment is in his hand luggage as is my medication and another 100 useless items but we never leave that anywhere.

Finally we have made it… well almost… just the ship’s gangway to master, probably about 30 steps but it was a bridge too far for me by this time. Poor Matt had to physically push me up a few steps, then let me rest while he ran down and brought the hand luggage up, then a few more steps (you get the picture).

Windblown, tired and extremely cold we talk to the ship’s security who are guarding the door. They ask for our passports!!! Unfortunately they too do not speak the Queen’s English and it must have taken us 20 minutes to explain our situation. We looked like we had been through a hedge backwards, had no passports or luggage so God knows what they thought.

Now I will digress slightly. Matt was supposed to join the ship in Athens on Wednesday 19 October but there was a sudden announcement that the whole country would encounter a transport strike for two days. Regent were worried that we would have trouble getting into the country, let alone to the ship so in their wisdom they decided to fly us out 2 days early and join the ship on the last days of that particular leg – we would then be on the vessel for the start of a new cruise on the 19th October. The trouble seemed to be that head office had forgotten to relay that update to the ship so they had no idea we were coming!!! They had no cabin for us and were loathe to let us embark at all.

At 11.00pm, we were allowed on and because we were in our traveling clothes, special telephone calls had to be made to the bar to allow us to be served. We eventually went to our allocated cabin and waited patiently for our clothes and passports to arrive. They did follow but we realised how foolish we had been to just leave everything with a lone figure at the doors to the port – although quite honestly I don’t know what the alternative would have been.


OK that was the first day – I won’t bore you with the in-between but this is what happened when we tried to get home. About ten days into the trip I suddenly got very bad vibes about my flight. Because of expense et al I had booked myself to fly home on Easyjet whereas Matt was on British Airways but the idea was that he would land at Heathrow at 9.00pm and then drive to Luton Airport and pick me up when my plane landed at 11.00pm. Simple really. Matt started taking to Mickey out of my vibes but as I have learned from the past they always come true and I couldn’t shake the feeling. About a week before we were due to leave we were told that the ship was going to forego Ashdod because of rockets going up in the Gazza Strip. We were supposed to disembark from Ashdod and so I thought that we would be now getting off at the next port of call. But that wasn’t the case, instead the ship, which was due to stop at Haifa the day before Ashdod would now go there but stay 3 days before going straight to Egypt. This meant we would still fly from Tel Aviv Airport as originally planned because Tel Aviv is between those two ports anyway.

I felt very uneasy and went to the BA website to see if their prices had gone down – they hadn’t. But three days before flying home I was so bugged by my feeling of impending doom that I booked myself on the BA flight anyway even though there was only Business Class left at this point. I chose not to tell Matt as I thought it would be a wonderful surprise to tell him at the airport and he’d realise that he didn’t have to drive to Luton after all.

We had instruction to leave the ship at 12.00pm. Our fight was at 4.40pm but Hannah, one of the speciality acts, was travelling to the airport with us and her flight was at 4.00pm. The rule in Haifa is that no passenger can walk around the port unescorted so we were put on a bus and driven 500 years to the outside of the cruise terminal. We were just plonked at the end of the port and made to stand out in the sun and no one could tell us what was going on. The other two passengers who were transferring to a hotel until the next day were not amused. It was 12.50pm and apparently we were waiting for security. Finally in the car and squashed in like sardines we were an hour into the journey when suddenly the driver stopped in the middle of the central reservation of a motorway!!!! He spoke no English and he got out to talk to another driver who was parked there with his boot open. Matt got out because Hannah was in tears to try and find out what was going on and he pointed to his tire saying it would take another hour to change the wheel. Matt tried to explain that Hannah’s flight was in less than 2 hours and suddenly he changed his mind and got back in but from then on he was trying to use his cell phone, fiddling with his car radio, trying to find change, all the while not looking at the road, it was a nightmare, we nearly hit several cars all whilst going at high speeds.

We finally got to the airport and were dumped at the side of the road and the cab driver signaled for Matt to get a trolley. The next thing he was gone… with Matt’s new camera in the back of his car. Matt was devastated, not only because  it was only a few days old but because it had all his photos on it from the whole trip.

Tel Aviv airport was a nightmare and I know Matt will never take the Mickey out of my bad vibes again when I tell you the first thing we saw was that the Easyjet flight had been cancelled!!!!! Can you imagine, Matt would have had to have gone through and I would have been stuck there overnight with no contact there who spoke English, no hotel and no one at the Easyjet counter - traumatic to say the least. We landed at Heathrow to receive a text from Matt’s management, who were picking us up at the airport in Matt’s car, to say they had stopped at the airport petrol station and two youths had suddenly smashed the car window and tried to take the one girl’s belongings. When the police had finally finished with all the statements and after attending to various cuts and the shock of what had happened we dropped the girls at the Avis counter and Matt and I limped home minus a window and soaked through from the incoming rain. So that was a small insight into our cruise and I only hope that the upcoming one is not as eventful.

I have checked with EMI’s distribution and have been told that not only is ‘The Man Behind the Voice’; the WH Smith Bookazine, now available but that it has gone to every single branch of the shop including WH Smith Travel. Now I have heard that several branches have already sold out but it is up to that individual store whether they re-order it – so if you are thinking of buying it for yourself or for a loved one as a Christmas present now is the time to buy it. It was a limited edition run of 8000 and we have had no indication that they will print anymore for the English market.



Matt Monro – The Man Behind the Voice by Joe Marchese

In Michele Monro’s The Man Behind the Voice, the author sums up the career of her subject, who also happened to be her father: “Matt never acquired the ‘superstar’ tag, but quality was his code, and he earned the reputation for being a class act with a superlative gift.” 
Though Matt Monro died in 1985 aged just 54, his music continues to flourish today.  Monro’s voice is as vibrant now as when he first recorded “Born Free,” “To Russia with Love” or any of the countless other songs, both contemporary and classic, that form his discography.  And with Messrs. Merriam and Webster defining a “superstar” as one who is “extremely talented, has great public appeal and can usually command a high salary,” Ms. Monro has made a great argument for her father’s enduring superstar status.  She’s behind the impressive Matt Monro reissue campaign from EMI, and the latest creative release in that program, The Man Behind the Voice, is a “bookazine” consisting of a 64-page magazine, a 20-track compact disc companion (or soundtrack, if you will) and replica 45 single of “Portrait of My Love” b/w “You’re the Top of My Hit Parade.”  EMI and the Monro family have released this wonderful gift collection in conjunction with another high-profile reissue, the box set The Singer’s Singer.
The compact disc The Man Behind the Voice is thoughtfully compiled, showcasing the purity and clarity of tone in Monro’s voice over a variety of recordings.  (Pay special attention to the closing sequence, with “If I Never Sing Another Song,” “The Last Farewell,” “We’re Gonna Change the World” and “Softly, As I Leave You.”)  A number of Monro’s most famous recordings are here, of course, including “Born Free,” “To Russia with Love” and “Walk Away.”  But the real attraction for collectors will undoubtedly be two tracks (Clive Westlake’s “Only Once” and Roger Whittaker and Ronald Webster’s “The Last Farewell”) appearing here for the very first time on CD.  In addition, every track has been presented in the most up-to-date sound possible.  Remastering engineer Richard Moore has derived 14 tracks from his own 2010 remasters for EMI, while the remaining six tracks have all been derived from the original masters.  Two tracks, “Nice and Easy” and a medley of “S’Wonderful” and “I Get a Kick Out of You,” were subjected to noise reduction for a 2006 release, and Moore has worked wonders on restoring them to superior quality here.
Monro’s vocals were romantic but assured, capable of sensitively caressing the ballads and raucously swinging the up-tempo songs.  His style was a deceptively simple one: a dash of legit pipes, a touch of Bing Crosby-esque intimacy, a brash swinger’s confidence.  It added up to a sound uniquely Monro.  His arrangements were largely free of gimmickry, with the voice front and center.  Don Black’s lyric to “Born Free,” set so beautifully to John Barry’s majestic melody, took off in Monro’s capable hands, resonating beyond the original story of a lion cub.  There are hits from Broadway (Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse’s “Gonna Build a Mountain” from Stop The World! I Want to Get Off!, Charles Strouse and Lee Adams’ fantastic, underrated “This is the Life” from Golden Boy and the deathless “The Impossible Dream” from Man of La Mancha) plus quintessential performances like Bricusse’s “My Kind of Girl” and Monro’s first hit, “Portrait of My Love,” which may be better-known to American listeners via Steve Lawrence’s successful version.
Monro had a sharp ear for contemporary pop, and as a result recorded fewer Tin Pan Alley standards than many of his contemporaries, but the “S’Wonderful” medley included here certainly shows his flair for the genre.  His treatment of The Beatles’ “Yesterday” still stands apart from the rest, and was spurred on by the producer Monro shared with John, Paul, George and Ringo: one Sir George Martin.  Monro’s recording was one of the song’s very first cover versions, and its sensitive arrangement and restrained vocal gained the singer a Top 10 single in the United Kingdom.  The CD is housed in a digipak; all that is missing is discographical information as to the origin of each song, which would have pointed new fans in the right direction for further listening.
The bookazine itself recounts the story of the man born Terence Edward Parsons in straightforward fashion. Writing in the third person, Michele Monro (born in 1959) frankly recounts incidents that she would have been forgiven for wishing not to recall, including her father’s traumatic childhood, rocky relationship with manager/lyricist Don Black (represented on Broadway this season with the new musical Bonnie and Clyde) and an unfortunate car accident involving Monro which took the life of a pedestrian.  Although the singer was cleared of all charges, the incident nonetheless had a profound impact on him, and the details are presented unflinchingly.  Most affecting, though, are his daughter’s recollections of his lifelong struggle with alcohol, not to mention attendant depression and exhaustion. That Matt Monro found solace in alcohol doesn’t come as a surprise given the punishing tour schedule described in detail in these pages.  One leaves The Man Behind the Voice with a full sense of an international artist, deeply committed to his art and his audience.  (It’s downright shocking to read that Monro embarked on a grueling tour of the Far East a mere two months after treatment at the Priory in 1976.)
Though a personal remembrance, there’s a steady stream of factoids on hand, detailing awards, recognitions and chart successes in the strict chronological format.  But there are also personal vignettes told in the author’s matter-of-fact style, and marvelous day-to-day tidbits that could only have come from a biographer so intimately acquainted with her subject. 
The colorful cast of characters in the artist’s story includes Bruce Forsyth, Shirley Bassey, Sammy Davis, Jr., Tony Bennett, Henry Mancini, Andy Williams and even Imelda Marcos!  But the most notable personage might be the late Maurice Gibb, himself a recovering alcoholic, who finally spurred his friend Monro on to successful treatment for his alcoholism.  Then there’s Peter Sellers.  Though Sellers was often mercurial, the comic genius knew talent. It was 1960 when Parlophone producer George Martin was seeking a voice that the great impersonator could use as reference for a Frank Sinatra spoof on his comedy album cheekily titled Songs for Swinging Sellers. Martin hired Matt Monro, and billed him under the very Sellers-esque pseudonym of “Fred Flange.”  But Sellers evidently knew that Monro was destined for greatness; the Fred Flange recording opened the record and Martin signed the man behind the curtain.
Much attention is, of course, on the music.  You’ll read of Monro’s “discovery” by an unlikely benefactor, pianist Winifred Atwell, to his early signings by Decca and Fontana before hitting the big time at Parlophone under Martin’s wing, with top-notch arrangers like Martin and Johnnie Spence.  There’s also a strong sense of Monro’s humble beginnings, which were noted by the press when the career of “the singing bus driver” took off.
The bookazine’s pages are of a heavier stock than a typical magazine, and photographs are plentiful, including a number in full color.  It makes for a fine stand-alone read, or a primer for the author’s full-scale biography, which like the box set, is entitled The Singer’s Singer.  (The biography is available in a standard hardcover or paperback edition, and also in a deluxe, slipcased set containing a complete Matt Monro discography and a bonus CD.)  Attention to detail is evident throughout this entire package, right down to the catalogue number and design of the red Parlophone single (45-R-47714)!
Matt Monro: The Man Behind the Voice is currently available in the United Kingdom through the newsagent/retailer WH Smith.  Should interest be sufficient, it’s possible that it will gain wider distribution.  Whether you’re a longtime fan of Monro or discovering him for the first time, you won’t want to “walk away.”  You’ll want to get to know The Man Behind the Voice.
Don’t forget that the book is now available in paperback and EBook so for all of your friends that own a Kindle, or its equivalent, the book can now be downloaded. There is also an abridged audio version available on ‘Words and Music’.

The new 4 CD Set ‘The Singer’s Singer’ would also be a lovely present to sit under the Christmas tree or you could send a friend one of the Matt Monro ring tones – available by scrolling down from the ‘news’ page and clicking on the box titled ‘Give Someone You Love a Ring’ and for any of you that didn’t buy ‘The Rare Monro’, Matt at the BBC’ and ‘Matt Sings, Nelson Swings’, it is possible that they will not be available from next year. These were all given a five-year contract and the powers that be don’t usually give any warning before the title is deleted from the catalogue list – you have been warned.


As most of you know both Richard and I have continued on our research quest, both for stories and material. One of the items I was following up on was the origin of a bust if dad’s head that has been in the family for years. While looking through cine footage I noticed it on the dressing room counter at dad’s 1963 Summer Season at Blackpool. Anyways cut a very long story short I am delighted to have sourced the artist. Not only have I spoken to Victor Heyfron but he features dad on his website -

I received a lovely letter recently from Darragh McGann, which I have reproduced below.

I have always wanted to pay my own special tribute to your Dad, who has been an inspiration to me in my own music.

In that regard, I am delighted to tell you that I have been offered a wonderful venue in my hometown of Cobh, The Sirius Arts Centre, for their forthcoming Christmas Concert series. The dates I have been given are Friday December 16th and Saturday December 17th. I have chosen the title of "A Golden Christmas" and these concerts will be a Tribute to the memory of your Dad and his music, while also including some Christmas Classics. It is also my intention that these concerts will launch a series of concerts in Tribute to the Man with the Golden Voice.

Since returning from London and sharing my experience with others, it is clear that the memory of your Dad and his music is alive and well and I know there is a real appetite to hear this music again. I know I could never, nor would I try to re-create the magic of your Dad, but I do believe by performing his songs, then maybe we can bring some memories back to people.

If any of you live near Cobh then I highly recommend you go down and catch Darragh’s show – I’m sure it will be a wonderful evening. The press has even made mention of the evenings so all being equal both appearances should sell out.


Four days after coming back off the ship I drove down to Warwick to see my son, who I miss dearly. It had been his 19th birthday a few days earlier and I had arranged a surprise outing to ‘Top Gear Live’ at Birmingham. We spent two great days together and now I can’t wait for him to come home for the Christmas holidays. I can’t quite believe that it is only 24 days until the big day itself and I am also frantically trying to pack for my mammoth adventure. A light packer I’m not although I do think I will manage to tone it down to three suitcases but it is no easy task especially as I need clothes for the sunshine and for the cold weather. I have also just been advised that there are 17 formal nights on board the ship!!! I also have my normal hand luggage, my parent’s ashes and another case with the candles in it. That and of course 50 books and CDs – my only worry is that If I don’t sell them all I will be saddled with them for the rest of my journey.

It is not that easy to email from the ship, well it isn’t just that it is hard but its expensive too and the trouble with Regent was that the connection was so slow and many a time it would suddenly disconnect whist in mid-flow. I am hoping that as P&O’s Arcadia is three times the size that the equipment will be better placed with speedier connections. That being the case I am going to try and log into the website’s Forum every few days and write a travel update for anyone that is interested. At least that way you will have an idea of what I’m up to.

It was actually strange while I was away that come every Wednesday I felt I should be at the ready for my spot on Siren radio. The station want to carry on the spot whilst I am away so I am going to pre-record a few and we are also hoping that I can ring in live from Australia and the USA so don’t forget to tune in each Wednesday at 5.50pm.

Don’t forget to check out our spotlight guesta this month, I know so many of you enjoy them.

 ‘Friends of Matt Monro’, our official Fan Club run by Geraldine Vine has closed its doors. I know a lot of you were disappointed, as was I, but it was out of my hands. Hopefully when I settle down again on these shores it might be possible to start something similar. My main worry is for the people that don’t have access to the Internet and I think I will have to gather names and write a letter each month so they are kept abreast of the things going on. If you have any ideas about the Fan Club then don’t forget to let me know.


In an effort to stay abreast with technology last year saw the appearance of my very own Facebook page - and now EMI have followed suit with a dedicated Matt Monro Facebook page. It would be wonderful if you could pop in and become a fan, the more the merrier - It will hopefully mean that we can reach even more people, some who might not know about the website.

Please don’t forget to let me know if you have anything related to dad, whether a story, a photo or an old radio show. Or maybe you have some old VHS formats laying in the attic that might have a television show on it. We can always have it transferred for you at our costs. As Richard and I unearth these rarities we are constantly told “but we thought you must have it”. Please don’t be shy; you might have something we are looking for. I repeat this message every month just in case it jogs someone’s memory.

Now even though there has been a lot of talk about the sale of EMI, nothing is set in stone yet as it has been mentioned that by acquiring EMI, Universal would own too much and control the monopoly. There will be lots of investigation into this allegation and it is possible that they will not be able to go ahead with the sale or shave their holdings – time will tell but in the meantime business will carry on as usual because in this day and age everything can be done by either telephone or email. I am delighted to announce that next year’s release will be The Rarer Monro but I have scheduled it for September so that will give me plenty of time to work on it and do the relevant publicity for the project once I get back.  Richard and I have already started banding tracks about so in the New Year we might start wetting your appetite with a few titles.

As you know I had made the decision to work on the cruise lines for the next two years and I am delighted that I have now had confirmation that both Fred Olsen and Marco Polo would also like me to come on and give my presentations.

On 9th January 2012 I am hitching a ride aboard P&O Arcadia and making my way to Australia. I have family there that I haven’t seen in 40 years and I thought it time to drop in for tea. Mum and dad visited the country fifteen times and always raved about it so I decided that if I don’t get going now I might never get across the pond. I will be spending about five weeks in the country travelling to Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and of course The Great Barrier Reef and I am hoping to meet up with some of you along the way. My route back is slightly different and the 15 April will see me board the Sea Princess in Sydney and go across to San Francisco and Las Vegas where I’m meeting up with Marion Spence (Johnnie Spence’s wife). She wants to be there when I scatter my mum and dad’s ashes at the Little Chapel of the West, where they remarried so it will be a very special moment, before heading to her home in Los Angeles. There are dozens of port stops along route so again I am hoping for the chance to meet up with lots of you from that side of the world, as I won’t fly back to London until June.


My itinerary for 2012 is as follows:

Monday 9th January:

Embark Southampton, England

Tuesday 10th January:

At Sea

Wednesday 11th January:

At Sea

Thursday 12th January:

At Sea 

Friday 13th January:

Barcelona, Spain - Full Day

Saturday 14th January:

At Sea

Sunday 15th January:

At Sea

Monday 16th January:

Athens (Piraeus), Greece - Full Day

Tuesday 17th January:

At Sea 

Wednesday 18th January:

Port Said, Egypt - Full Day & Evening

Thursday 19th January:                 

Suez Canal Daytime Transit

Friday 20th January                

Aqaba, Jordan - Full Day

Saturday 21st January:           

Luxor/Karnak, Egypt - Full Day & Evening

Sunday 22nd January:

At Sea

Monday 23rd January:

At Sea

Tuesday 24th January:

At Sea

Wednesday 25th January:

At Sea             

Thursday 26th January:

At Sea

Friday 27th January:

  Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Full Day

Saturday 28th January:

At Sea

Sunday 29th January:

At Sea

Monday 30th January:

Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India - Full Day

Tuesday 31st January:

At Sea

Wednesday 1st February:       

Cochin, India - Full Day

Thursday 2nd February:             

Colombo - Full Day & Evening

Friday 3rd February:

At Sea

Saturday 4th February:

At Sea

Sunday 5th February:                 

Phuket, Thailand - Full Day

Monday 6th February:

At Sea

Tuesday 7th February:

Singapore - Full Day   

Wednesday 8th February:

At Sea

Thursday 9th February:      

Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Full Day

Friday 10th February:

Laem Chabang - Full Day

Saturday 11th February:

At Sea

Sunday 12th February:       

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam- Full Day

Monday 13th February:

At Sea

Tuesday 14th February:               

Ha Long Bay - Full Day

Wednesday 15th February:

At Sea

Thursday 16th February:

Hong Kong, China - Full Day & Evening

Friday 17th February:             

Hong Kong, China- Early Morning      

Saturday 18th February:

At Sea

Sunday 19th February:            

Shanghai, China - Full Day

Monday 20th February:

At Sea

Tuesday 21st February:     

Beijing, China- Full Day & Evening

Wednesday 22nd February:

At Sea

Thursday 23rd February:               

Nagasaki, Japan - Afternoon & Evening

Friday 24th February:

At Sea

Saturday 25th February:               

Osaka, Japan - Full Day

Sunday 26th February:

At Sea

Monday 27th February:

At Sea

Tuesday 28th February:

At Sea

Wednesday 29th February:

At Sea

Thursday 1st March:

At Sea

Friday 2nd March:

Rabaul  - Full Day

Saturday 3rd March:

At Sea

Sunday 4th March:

At Sea

Monday 5th March:         

Cairns, Yorkey's Knob - Full Day

Tuesday 6th March:

At Sea

Wednesday 7th March  

Brisbane, Australia - Full Day

Thursday 8th March:

At Sea 

Friday 9th March:     

Sydney, Australia - Full Day & Evening

Saturday 10th March:               

Sydney, Australia - Early Morning

Sunday 11th March:               

Melbourne, Australia – Disembark

Sunday 11th March - Wednesday 11th April – Australia

Thursday 12th April

Fly Melbourne to Sydney

Friday 13th April:


Saturday 14th April:


Sunday 15th April:

Sydney – Embark

Monday 16th April:

At Sea

Tuesday 17th April:

At Sea

Wednesday 18th April:

Fiordland National Park New Zealand

Thursday 19th April:

Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand

Friday 20th April:

Christchurch, New Zealand

Saturday 21st April:

At Sea

Sunday 22nd April:

Auckland, New Zealand

Monday 23rd April:

At Sea

Tuesday 24th April:

At Sea

Wednesday 25th April:

At Sea

Wednesday 25th April:

Suva, Fiji

Wednesday 25th April:

Cross International Dateline

Thursday 26th April:

Pago Pago, American Samoa

Friday 27th April:

At Sea

Saturday 28th April:

At Sea

Sunday 29th April:

Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Monday 30th April:

Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Tuesday 1st May:

Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Wednesday 2nd May:

At Sea

Thursday 3rd May:

At Sea

Friday 4th May:

At Sea

Saturday 5th May:

At Sea

Sunday 6th May:

At Sea

Monday 7th May:

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

Tuesday 8th May:

Maui (Lahaina), USA

Wednesday 9th May:

At Sea

Thursday 10th May:

At Sea

Friday 11th May:

At Sea

Saturday 12th May:

At Sea

Sunday 13th May:

Disembark San Francisco



Monday 14th May:

San Francisco

Tuesday 15th May:

San Francisco

Wednesday 16th May:

Flight to Las Vegas

Thursday 17th May:

Las Vegas

Friday 18th May:

Las Vegas

Saturday 19th May

Las Vegas (Marion Flies Out)

Sunday 20th May:

Las Vegas

Monday 21st May:

Flight to Los Angeles

Monday 21st May – Tuesday 19th June – Los Angeles

Wednesday 20th June:                      Air New Zealand to London
Thursday 21st June:                           Land London Heathrow

I am returning from this first epic voyage on 21 June 20012 and will then spend most of the summer with my son, whist trying to sell the house. Then I’m back on the ships.

28 August – 5 September 2012 – Fred Olsen’s Balmoral – Norwegian Fiords

22 September – 4 October 2012 – Royal Caribbean’s Independence of the Sea– Italian Med.

I am delighted to have had an invitation for a drink with Henry Puccinelli who lives in San Francisco so that should be a lot of fun. Don’t forget to let me know if you will be on any of these trips because it would be lovely to meet up whilst on board.

Check out the ‘Rough Guide to’, which is available towards the bottom of the Homepage. A few of you have mentioned that you don’t know how to access certain areas of the site or in fact are unaware of new areas, this guide will explain how easy this website is to get around, once you know how.

There is also another information box “How to Use the Forum’. I know a lot of people have been tempted to join in on some of our conversations but are slightly nervous of doing so. For that reason I have printed step-by-step instructions of how to access it. It really does only take a few minutes.

Remember we don’t do an update in January because everyone needs some time off to recharge their batteries so until February here’s wishing you a wonderful Christmas, a memorable festive season and a brilliant New Year.

Michele Monro


Past News - November 2011

Past News - October 2011

Past News - September 2011

Past News - August 2011

Past News - July 2011


  - Press this link to see the Amazon Listing for The Singers Singer by Michele Monro


front page
nscfc fans